Lot 21: British Salmson 12/70 S4C Sports Tourer
Headquartered in Raynes Park, London, British Salmson began life in 1934 as an offshoot of the French aero engine and car manufacturer the Soci�t� des Moteurs Salmson. The British S4C model featured the same DOHC 1480cc four-cylinder engine and chassis as its French sibling, but had an uprated gearbox with synchromesh on the top two ratios. A range of British-designed bodies were offered and the engine was available in two forms - the single carburetter 12/55 and twin carburetter 12/70. The latter was considered capable of powering the Salmson to 80mph. Some 250 S4C's were produced between 1934 and 1938. The company ceased car production at the beginning of WW2 and never re-started.
The two-seater right-hand drive Salmson offered is a S4C model manufactured in 1936 and sports White coachwork teamed with a Black leather interior. The previous owner was George Bolton, an engineer involved with both the Salmson Club and the manufacture of new cylinder heads for these rare cars. He acquired 'DGK 321' in 1962/1963 and used it for three years before storing it for the next eleven. Having recommissioned the two-seater in 1977 he is understood to have much enjoyed touring in it with his wife and daughter before passing away in 2002. The vendor acquired the Salmson from Mr Bolton's family last autumn. He informs us that the body's ash frame is "in good condition and the doors fit and open and close well". He feels the engine is in "excellent condition and starts and runs well" and that "all the gears work" and the transmission "sounds good". Apparently the seats have been recovered and the interior "may need some tidying and finishing around the boot area". This striking Salmson will also need a pair of new six volt batteries and an MOT before taking to the highways once more.
H&H Sales Limited, The Pavilion Gardens
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£18700|
|Registration number||DGK 321|
|Engine capacity (cc)||1497|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors||2|