Lot 669: GWK H Type 4-Seater Tour
The first GWK was completed in a stable in Beckenham in 1911/12, though series production did not commence in Datchet until 1912 followed by a further move to Maidenhead in 1914. Combining the surnames of founding partners Messrs Arthur Grice, J Talfourd Wood and C M Keiller, the first GWK automobiles were rear-engined initially with 2-cylinder Coventry-Simplex marine power units, though soon employing a 1045cc vertical twin along with friction-disc transmission and chain-drive. The first 2-seaters cost £150, although by 1915 the price of a GWK had risen to £150 and by the outbreak of war total production had risen to 1069 cars.
Post-WW1, 82 rear-engined E Type were produced, the F Type being the first front-engined GWK, the transmission whip of earlier models reportedly cured by the 1921/26-built H Type for which a 4-wheel brakes option cost 10 guineas in 1924. A total of 1700 cars were made 1919/26 at the Cordwallis works, The Jam Factory, where, following the demise of GWK in its final form, jam, marmalade and brillo pads were produced.
Previously displayed in a Museum in Holland and acquired in 1983, this 1922-dated GWK H Type 4/5-seater tourer with friction-disc transmission (a gear for every gradient) was last on the road in the mid-1980s when it was reportedly driven to a local fete. Since then, various refurbishment tasks including an engine rebuild were commenced, but sadly never completed following the ill health and subsequent death of the last owner. On inspection, the chassis was found to be sound as were the green painted body panels, some which had only minor surface rusting. Seats trim, instruments and lamps would appear to be present and, with the cylinder bores lubricated regularly whilst dormant, the 1368cc Coventry-Simplex 4-cylinder motor did turn over on the handle. There will, however, be much to do before DS 6594 can be restored to the highway.
Apart from a V5 confirming chassis, engine and registration numbers, several boxes of parts and a spare engine come with this project which would appear to be largely if not wholly complete. A huge amount of documentation contains much historical, technical and maintenance information for GWK Motor Cars together with some original booklets and a metal display sign. Although the marque featured on the front cover of The Autocar in 1924 and 1925, it is reckoned that of the approximately 3000 GWK cars originally made only 11 have survived.
Collectors' Motor Cars, Motorcycles & Automobilia|
Bonhams, Yorkshire Event Centre, Harrogate
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£4370|
|Registration number||DS 6594|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|