Lot 20: Jaguar XK150 Drophead Coupe
Making its first appearance in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was to prove a most worthy successor to the outgoing XK140 and, although retaining the basic well-established XK styling, the most obvious differences were the wider body and one-piece windscreen. The specification was to feature a number of improvements including Dunlop disc brakes all round and the 210bhp engine, previously only available as a special equipment option, was now standardised. Like its forbears, the XK150 was to enjoy considerable success, particularly in the USA, where it was to feature prominently in competition. By the time XK150 production had ceased with the advent of the E-Type, a total of 9,395 cars had been built in roadster, drophead and fixed head coupé versions. Presented to a very fine standard in Old English white with tan interior trim and a fawn hood, the XK150 drophead presented here was the subject of a thorough and exacting restoration by a Jaguar specialist and was completed around fifteen years ago. Almost £50,000 was spent including conversion to right-hand-drive and since completion we are advised that the car has only covered around 5,000 miles. Fitted with the manual gearbox with overdrive and originally in left-hand-drive format, the car was despatched on 30th December 1958 to Jaguar Cars, New York and a copy of the Heritage certificate is provided. A 3.8-litre engine is fitted and the car is reported to drive superbly with all equipment fully functional, as would be expected. Service history since the restoration is supplied together with bills and details of the work carried out, previous MOT certificates and a V5C registration document. A current MOT certificate valid until 7th March next year is also supplied.
Sale of pre-war and Thoroughbred Motor Cars|
BCA, Brooklands Museum, Surrey
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£37950|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors||2|