Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 444: 1947/200 Jaguar SS100 Recreation

Fine Motor Cars and the Jaguar Legend, Coys (14 July 2007)

Although the main focus of SS/Jaguar in the 1930's was on their saloons, it is the sports-car range that is best remembered today. The range evolved from the SS90 of 1935, to the SS100 2.5 litre of 1936 and finally to the SS100 3.5 litre of 1938. The exterior remained virtually unchanged but many changes were carried through under the simple, but effective body. The SS90 was directly derived from the SSI; it was created by cutting 15 inches out of the saloon's chassis. Power came from a side valve straight six engine which delivered 70bhp. More power was needed and after a production run of only 23 cars, the SS90 was replaced by the SS100. The main difference between the two was the Harry Weslake designed overhead valve head which yielded an extra 30bhp. The relatively low weight, 102bhp and the competitive price made the SS100 an immediate hit. Production of the SS100 though was not a priority with the company still focussing on the very successful saloon cars. When production was cut short by the Second World War in 1940 only 190 of the SS100 2.5 litres and even less (118) of the 3.5 litre variant were constructed. Given then that these cars were great to drive, benefiting as they did from that lusty 6 cylinder engine, they looked fabulous and performed extremely well, it is little surprise that people looked carefully at this combination and wondered if it could be replicated. The vendor of this faultless specimen had those exact thoughts. After doing well in his chosen field, he employed a specialist engineer, Jack Buckley from Vintage Car Restorations to put such a car together. Mr Buckley benefited from having a complete set of plans and bucks made from original SS100 panels and parts, including the windscreen. This ensured millimetre perfect copies were fabricated of all knobs, mouldings and radiator cowling. Including the Ash sub-chassis. The 3½ litre engine and drivetrain were donated from a Jaguar Mk. IV, both cars using similar units. This was completely striped down to its component parts and rebuilt to exacting standards. Twin fuel pumps have been incorporated, an accepted modification with these cars. Aeroscreens can also be found as well as full all-weather equipment. Full red leather Connolly hide graces the cockpit as well as leather trimmed carpetry. The paintwork is a deep Jaguar midnight blue again reflecting the colour combinations of the time and with over seven coats applied, should last well. Wheels include stainless steel spokes with chrome rims shod with Dunlop Gold Seal tyres; the spinners have been created using solid brass with a chrome finish. A number of original parts have also been sourced however and these include QK headlamps costing in excess of £3,500 alone, all six dash mounted instruments, the cigar lighter (most troublesome), the 3½ litre SS100 front badging, spotlights and horns. This meticulous project took a staggering 14 years to complete and over £80,000 in parts and man-hours. Finally, in 1995, it undertook its first rally, the Manchester to Blackpool, whereupon and unsurprisingly, it performed faultlessly. The Cherished Car Valuation Certificate records a figure of £75,000 and with tax and a full years MoT, this stunning example, with only 550 miles driven, must represent the very highest of complements to Sir William Lyons original creation.

Lot Details
Auction Fine Motor Cars and the Jaguar Legend
Coys, Blenheim Palace, UK
TypeCar
Lot Number444
Estimate£60000-£70000
Outcome NOT SOLD
Hammer Price-
Hammer Price (inc premium)-
Year1947
Condition rating
Registration numberEKG 99
Mileage-
Chassis number511664
Engine number
Engine capacity (cc)
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors