Lot 76: Rover Twelve Tourer
Always with a discreet and understated image of typical British quality, Rover cars remained utterly conventional until the launch of the post-WW2 P4 range; the marque's 1937 P2 designs, of 10, 12, 14 and 16hp, lasted right up until the 1949 season. These had been updated from the outgoing 1936 cars with stiffened chassis and the readoption of rod brakes after Rover had tried hydraulics. Synchromesh on the top two gears was adopted from 1939 and disc wheels standardised post-WW2. Near the end of production, around 200 of these Twelve Tourers were built, all in 1947 and 1948, using a coachbuilt aluminium body tub and retaining the existing 1496cc overhead valve engine. Very few of these cars are believed to exist, with best estimates in the 30-40 range.
Overall the car appears to be basically sound and complete, with all of its important trim parts present and intact, but has been on static display as part of a private Lake District collection for many years, evidenced by its tax disc having expired at the end of 1975. Although reported to have been driven in to the collection building under its own power, the Rover is currently a non-runner and will require recommissioning prior to road use. Sold strictly as viewed it is accompanied by a buff logbook and V5 / V5C Registration Documents, plus a Rover Cars 1939-49 Owners Manual.
Fine Collectors' Cars|
H&H Sales Limited, The Pavilion Gardens, Buxton, Derbyshire
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£9460|
|Engine capacity (cc)||1495|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors||2|