Lot 364: Jaguar XK150 Drophead Coupe
Generally rated as being the most outstanding of the many British sportscars of the immediate post-war era were the dynasty of XK Jaguars from the William Lyons stable, each one a milestone motor car. The XK140 replacing 150 was just as well received as the two previous XK models when it started coming off the Coventry production line in 1957. Although instantly recognisable as a direct descendant of the XK120, the 150 appeared to be very much wider and roomier than previous XK models giving it a more modern look, and was certainly far more refined to drive and comfortable on the road. The most significant changes to the factory specification on a 150 were the brakes, with Jaguar's Le Mans-developed Dunlop discs fitted all round and the previously special order SE version of the 3442cc six, producing 210bhp, becoming the standard power unit. Available in roadster, drophead or fixed head coupe form, a total of just 9395 150s were produced between 1957 and the spring of 1961, when the far more volume-made E Type replacement hit the freeways of the world. This particular car has been in the museum's collection for eighteen years. It is the drop head coupe 2+2 that has a 6 cylinder in series, water-cooled 3.4 litre engine producing 216hp. It was the first car in the world to be equipped with disk brakes on all four wheels. Finished in red with a black hood, the car was completely refurbished by the museum's technical staff in 1998 in accordance with the manufacturer's original specifications. The fine leather upholstery, finished in black, was only available to special order when it was produced.
Coys, Athens, Greece
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Chassis number||5838225 DN|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|