A. J. Stevens Ltd was founded in 1909 and by the mid 1920s had become one of Britain’s leading makers of motorcycles. In 1929 they brought out a range of buses powered by 6 cylinder Coventry-Climax engines. They entered the car market in 1930 with a 1018cc 4 cylinder side-valve unit, with 3 speed gearbox and offered in three body styles: open 2-seater, fabric saloon and a coach built saloon. It was a quality light car with several luxury features such as an ash trap, map net and an interior roof light. At prices from £210 to £240, it did not seem good value compared with a Morris Cowley saloon at £160.
A.J.S. had sold about 3000 cars when they went into liquidation in October 1931.