This company was founded in 1875 under the Brooke name, though an earlier business on the same site dated from 1866. They were millwrights, boiler makers and iron and brass founders, and were also celebrated for their marine engines. Their first car was tested in 1901 and put on the market early the following year. It had a 10hp 3-cylinder vertical engine derived from a marine unit mounted transversely under a small bonnet. In 1903 it was joined by a new model with longitudinal 14hp engine, also of three cylinders. These early cars had a bowl in the centre of the steering wheel to hold small articles such as goggles and gloves. A more conventional range came in 1905 with 4 cylinder engines of 15/20 and 35hp and conventional sliding gearboxes. By this time cars accounted for about 75 per cent of Brooke’s business, the rest coming from marine engines.