1916 - 1917
This was an assembled car powered by an 11.9hp S.U.P. engine in the prototype, with Sterling providing the 1496cc engines for production cars, such as they were. Axles came from Salisbury and electrical equipment from Smiths. It was named after Herbert Smith who obtained his engines through S. Smith & Sons of Cricklewood, though he was no relation to the well-known electrical suppliers. The first few cars were assembled in a mews off Albany Street, near Regents' Park, with subsequent production taking place at Cricklewood, but 1916 was an unpropitious year to start making cars, and the Herbert did not last long. It was distinguished by a sharply-pointed radiator top. Two-seater bodies were offered, an open model and a drophead coupe.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile