1897 - 1930
The firm of Hurtu, Hautin et Diligeon was established in the northern French town of Albert in 1880 to make sewing machines. Production of machine tools soon followed, together with the manufacture of bicycles, and Hurtu became one of the largest French metal working enterprises of the period, employing well over 500 workers. In 1895 Diligeon bought out his partners and in 1897 obtained the contract for the mass production of the Léon Bollée voiturette, whilst the first four-wheeled Hurtu, closely based on the layout of the then popular Benz Velo, appeared the following year. By 1901 voiturettes with front engines and of contemporary appearance were being sold in considerable numbers and the range of models was steadily increased.
By 1910 Hurtu car manufacture had moved to Rueil-Malmaison on the western outskirts of Paris and production mainly focused on the popular 8hp single-cylinder and 10hp 4-cylinder cars with Renault-type bonnets and dash-board radiators although larger models were also made. Hurtu cars rarely made the headlines, but the firm did survive until the depression years.