1900 - 1905
The first Hutton was a voiturette powered by M.M.C., De Dion-Bouton or Aster engines of 5 or 6hp, rear-mounted and driving through a 2-speed belt transmission, with a vis-a-vis body. These were made in small numbers in Yorkshire, and the Hutton next surfaced in Surrey as a larger car with 4-cylinder pair-cast engines of 12 and 20hp, and shaft drive. These engines were designed by T.W. Barber and built by Willans & Robinson of Derby. Barber was also responsible for the transmission, incorporated in the rear axle, and for the radiator and carburettor.
In 1908 Hutton's name appeared on thrree 4-cylinder cars buit by Napier for the Four Inch Race. They were pure Napier in design, but as S.F. Edge had promoted 6-cylinder cars so energetically he did not want the Napier name to be associated with a four. Hutton was quoted as a nominal sponsor, and he drove one of them in the race, which was won by another Hutton.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile