Freidrich Lutzmann of Dessau in the east of Germany is variously described as a coachbuilder, a wheelwright, or a locksmith, but in an 1896 Lutzmann Motor Carriage sales brochure he is described as: "Court Cutler to the Grand Duke of Saxe-Anhalt". Lutzmann was undoubtedly inspired by the first Benz (qv) four-wheeled motorcar (the 1893 Victoria) to make a similar vehicle of his own, going on to become one of the very earliest of German motor car manufacturers. Although his cars looked similar to the large Benz, and were of almost identical layout with a single-cylinder horizontal engine at the rear and belt drive, they differed in detail, having individual forks for each front wheel and chain linkage from the vertical steering column. A handful of Lutzmann cars were sold in England in 1896-7, and one was also exported to Aden.
Late in 1898 the Opel sewing machine and bicycle business entered the motor industry by acquiring the Lutzmann plant, patents, stock, and staff, all of which was transferred across Germany to Rüsselsheim. Freidrich Lutzmann became a director of the new enterprise.
Source: Society of Automotive Historians in Britain