1895 - 1898
Petters were already well known as engine maufacturers when their first vehicle was made, powered by one of their 3bhp motors with hot-tube ignition and automatic gear ratios for the chain drives to either rear wheel. It was found to be insufficiently powerful for practical use, even on the mild hills around Yeovil, and subsequent models were fitted with a larger 2-cylinder unit, also horizontally mounted under the seat. The cars were rugged, but primitive and attracted limited local interest only. It is believed about 12 cars in all were sold. Petters flourished subsequently as makers of stationary engines and a later attempt at car manufacture was also quite hastily abandoned. The first Petter ran in the Emancipation Run of 1896, but is believed not to have completed the course.
Source: The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile