The Compagnie Belge de Construction Automobiles was founded by the brothers Alfred and Victor Goldschmidt. They presented their first motorcar in 1900 in Brussels, under the name Pipe. The small car was quite similar to the car made by Panhard & Levassor. The first car was powered by a two-cylinder engine. In 1901, a sporty model - the 15 CV - followed with a four-cylinder engine. This model was a very good racing car. The prototype was immediately used to participate in a Paris to Berlin race.
Like many other makes in those days, Pipe also built cars with powerful engines, such as the 90 CV from 1903 and the 60 CV from 1904. The latter model had a 13.5 litre four-cylinder engine.
In 1907, over 300 cars of the types 28, 50 and 80 CV were sold. Because of this, Pipe became one of the largest Belgian car manufacturers. The Pipes were not only sold in Belgium, but they were also exported to countries such as Russia.
During the First World War, the Pipe factory was partly destroyed. Only in 1921 was it able to resume manufacturing passenger cars. In that year, the company presented two new models with 3.0 and 9.0 litre badly. The management therefore decided to switch to the manufacture of trucks and buses.
The complete encyclopedia of Vintage Cars - Rob de la Rive Box