Made by the Pope Manufacturing Co, at a factory in Hagerstown, Maryland, the Pope-Tribune was a small car on European lines and was the cheapest car in the Pope 'empire'. It was introduced early in 1904 and production continued until 1906 with steady developments to the specification. The initial examples had a 6hp engine, rear-mounted gearbox, and a De Dion-style engine cover. For 1905 an 'Improved' Model II became standard with a fully water-cooled engine encased in a boxy bonnet and the gearbox was relocated to a central position. Larger cars joined the Tribunes' ranks but the Hagerstown factory never operated at a profit.