1907 - 1909
The Roydale was made by a subsidiary of Learoyd Brothers & Co. Ltd., makers of fancy worsted and woollen goods. Designed by Charles Binks who had previously made the Leader, it was a conventional 4-cylinder car with monobloc T-head engine, 3-speed gearbox and shaft drive. Two engine sizes were offered, a 3190cc 18/22hp and 3920cc 25/30hp, and there was also a 7-litre 40/45hp six listed, which may never have been built. Roydale supplied only chassis, but various open and closed bodies were made by Rippon.
The Roydale should have been successful but its launch coincided with the serious trade recession of 1907. It seems that it was only a hobby for A.E. Learoyd whose wealth came from the textile business, and after about a dozen cars had been made, the make was discontinued.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile