1934 - 1940
This little car had its origin in a fairground 'dodgem car' and never entirely lost the appearance of one. It was designed by Jack Shillan who also made the Scoota-Boat, and was originally electrically-powered and tetherd to a central pole to run in circles. In 1934 the Scootacar had a single speed, automatic clutch and no springs, relying on the balloon tyres to give a reasonably comfortable ride. Drive was to one rear wheel and a single band brake operated on the other.
Around 1000 Scootacars were made, including a few assembled after the war. One covering 15,000 miles under its own power. This was all the more remarkable as it was a 98cc single-speed model.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile