1897 - 1903
J & C. Stirling was an old-established coachbuilding business dating back to at least 1850, and in January 1897 the firm took delivery of a Daimler from Coventry, which it fitted with a varnished walnut double phaeton body. In July 1897, Stirling was advertising dog-carts-stanhopes, victorias, wagoneettes and delivery vans. One of Scotland's pioneer motorists, T.R.B. Eliot, fitted his Stirling with pneumatic tyres in 1897, a very early use of this invention.
Stirling's Motor Carriages Ltd paid a dividend of 5 per cent to shareholders in December 1897, the first motor company to do so. In 1900 it began to import the Clement-Panhard from France. This was sold in Scotland as the Stirling Panhard or Clement-Stirling; one model had a very tall closed coupe not seen on the French cars.
The company was becoming increasing involved with commercial vehicles. It moved to Endinburgh in late 1902, and probably very few cars were made there. A number of Stirling buses ran in London and as Scott-Stirling, they were made at Twickenham from 1906 - 1908.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile