Passenger and sports cars were built in the Czechoslavakian town of Prostejov, not far from Brno, between 1926 and 1937. The cars were sold as Wikov, a contraction of the names of the factory owners, Wichterle and Kovarik. The company was well-known for its agricultural machines, but just like so many companies in that era Wikov also tried its hand at cars. The first cars were very similar to the Italian Ansaldo. The engine in particular was conspicuously similar. The model 28 was powered by a 1480 cc, four-cylinder engine with an aluminium engine block and a cylinder head with an overhead camshaft. The engine delivered 28 bhp at 2800 rpm. In 1931, the cylinder was bored out to 1740 and in 1933 to 1940 cc. This led to the 35 and the 40 models. As early as 1930, all the models were equipped with hydraulic brakes. Like most car makes, Wikov had its own racing team. In 1929, during the first race the cars took part in they failed to impress. Only in 1931 did a Wikov come third in the 1.5 litre class. In 1931, the famous aerodynamics expert, Paul Jaray designed a number of beautifully streamlined bodies. When Central Europe was also hit by the depression, Wikov tried to survive by manufacturing some cheap models. This Wikov baby was much less successful than it deserved to be. The Baby's engine was mounted in the rear of the car and the wheels had independent suspension.
The chassis consisted of a central tube after Hans Ledwinka's design. Only eight were sold. In 1933, a larger car with an eight-in-line engine was also launched, but this model was also a failure. In 1937, the company decided to limit itself to the manufacture of trucks.
The complete encyclopedia of Vintage Cars - Rob de la Rive Box