Donald Healey planned to launch his all new Healey 100 sports car at the 1952 London Motor Show, however following discovery by Austin chairman, Leonard Lord, the new car quickly became the Austin Healey 100. Several variations on the original A-H (Austin Healey) 100 were to follow and this initial model is now often referred to as the BN1 (1953-55) and BN2 (1955-56) respectively.
The A-H 100 used a tuned version of Austin's straight four, 2660cc engine which also appeared in larger Austin saloons and the ill fated Austin A90 Atlantic. The body comprised of a simple, open, two seater roadster design with a fold flat windscreen and clean cut, modern lines which needed few chrome embellishments.
This first Austin Healey model sold well on both sides of the Atlantic and quickly established itself as serious contender in the British sportscar market.