The new XK140 range arrived in 1954 to replace the highly successful XK120 which had first appeared in 1948. The new model hinted at Jaguars keenness to continue selling its cars in the USA. The new car had an altogether heavier appearance which incorporated a wider front grille and more substantial bumpers front and rear.
Mechanically the XK140 received a more powerful 190bhp engine, rack and pinion steering and an optional "Special Equipment" pack that included wire wheels and even more (210bhp) power.
The open Roadster version of the XK range continued to sell in greater numbers than the better equipped XK140 Fixed and Drophead Coupe variants. Production ended in 1957 with the arrival of the XK150.