In 1958 Jaguar introduced an additional, higher performance version of its XK150, the XK150S. This new version featured a manual overdrive gearbox, revised cylinder head and bigger, triple carburettors. This 3.4 litre version of the XK engine developed 250bhp and in 1959 an even more powerful 3.8 litre version took over until production finally ended in 1961. The XK150S "option" was available in all three body styles including the highly practical Fixed Head Coupe variant. The XK150S and the rest of the range was discontinued in 1961 to make way for the new E-type models.