Following on from the original 1500 version of the MGA, the MGA 1600 made its debut in 1959. The original MGA was so well received that it hardly needed updating even four years after its launch, however the 1600 did improve upon an already excellent package and kept it ahead of its rivals, in particular the Triumph TR range.
The MGA 1600 featured a enlarged, 1588cc B-Series engine ( bringing an extra 7bhp - top speed now a dizzy 101mph ), improved brakes, plus new exterior lights at the front ( as used on the Morris 1000 / A40 Farina cars in the BMC range ), which incorporated amber turn flashers. The MGA still made do with traditional detachable side screens, although these now featured sliding Perspex windows, what luxury!!.
The MGA 1600 sold well in both roadster and fixed head coupe form until its replacement in 1961 by the MGA 1600 MkII.