By 1953 the MG TD was starting to show its age, unfortunately for BMC the all new MGA was still a few years away and so a face-lifted TD was required to hold the fort!. The "new" MG TF continued the 30's style open sports theme of the TD, but gained a sleeker body to help it survive in the showrooms.
The TF boasted a steeply raked front grille, streamlined front wings with faired in headlamps. The old fashioned rear "slab tank" and external spare wheel kept the traditional looks alive, as did optional wire wheels. In 1954 the TF became the TF 1500 and the earlier car is now often referred to as the MG TF 1250.