In 1948 Morris launched the Morris Minor to an amazed motoring world heralding a new era in small car manufacturing. The Minor was the brainchild of Alec Issigonis , who later designed other trend setting BMC cars including the immortal Mini. The new Minor featured a mould breaking monocoque body, independent torsion bar suspension but had to make do with a pre-war designed 918cc sidevalve engine.
In 1951 all Minor's featured high mounted headlamps, which had first been introduced on cars made for the US market in 1949. The new lamps transformed the look of the car and probably helped it remain high in the sales stakes for many years to come. An interesting point to note is that early cars had a small painted section in the centre of the bumpers. This odd detail was due to a design modification which had resulted from a change in the cars width!.
Buyers Guide Morris Minor 1948-1971 featured in Practical Classics March 2008 – available from our sister site Bookbase. Click here to view.