During the war Renault's design department had worked on a modern car. This Renault 4CV was shown for the first time at the Paris motor show in October 1946 and proved to be just what everyone was waiting for. It was small but with space enough for four adults, economical with fuel but with a good turn or speed. The orders streamed in and the waiting time quickly rose to two years. The first 4CV cars were all sprayed with paint left by the Germans which had been destined for trucks intended for the Afrika-Corps.
The half-millionth 4CV rolled out of production in 1954 with production ending finally on 6 July 1961, when more than a million had been sold.