Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 624: c.1926 Douglas 348cc EW

Collectors' Motor Cars, Bonhams (10 September 2005)

Douglas commenced motorcycle production in 1907 with a machine powered by a horizontally-opposed twin. Fore-and-aft installation made for a slim machine with a low centre of gravity, and the designís virtues were soon demonstrated in competition, Douglas taking 1st, 2nd and 4th places in the 1912 Isle of Man Junior TT. Designed by Cyril Pullin and launched at the Olympia Show in 1925, the EW was intended to benefit from tax concessions available to lightweights, and so weighed under 200lbs. In typical Douglas fashion the engine was a fore-and-aft flat twin: a fixed-head sidevalve with outside flywheel, hand and mechanical oil pumps, and BTH magneto ignition. A gearbox mounted behind rather than above the rear cylinder, all-chain drive and decent-sized drum brakes differentiated the EW from its predecessors, as did the handsome sloping fuel tank that replaced the Ďflatí style used hitherto. An unusual feature was the gearchange gate located in the tankís centre. Benefiting from numerous improvements, the EW went on to achieve some notable successes in the popular reliability trials of the period. This example was acquired around 20 years ago and restored by Eric Houseley over a period of five years. Used on private land only and preserved in good condition, the machine is offered without documents.

Lot Details
Auction Collectors' Motor Cars
Bonhams, Beaulieu Autojumble, National Motor Museum, Hampshire
TypeMotorcycle
Lot Number624
Estimate£2400-£2800
Outcome SOLD
Hammer Price£2800
Hammer Price (inc premium)£3220
Year
Condition rating
Registration numberRL 2947
Mileage-
Chassis number
Engine number
Engine capacity (cc)
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors