Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 625: c.1939 Norton 490cc 16H

Collectors' Motor Cars, Bonhams (10 September 2005)

Having hitherto relied on proprietary engines, Norton introduced its own power unit in 1907. The long-stroke sidevalve single displaced 633cc and the new model it powered became known as the ‘Big 4’. Smaller capacity versions followed and in 1911 the 500 adopted the classic 79x100mm bore/stroke dimensions which would characterise the half-litre (actually 490cc) Norton for the next 50 years. The 490cc engine was revised for 1914 and in 1921 the Model 16, as it had become known, received a new lower frame, becoming the 16H. Norton’s trusty sidevalve would be continuously up-dated for the next 30-plus years - many seeing service with Allied forces in WW2 - before taking its final bow, alongside the Big 4, in 1954. This example’s engine/frame numbers, together with its ‘doll’s head’ gearbox and girder front fork, suggest a manufacturing date of circa 1939. However, it was not first registered until 1954, possibly indicating that it was originally manufactured for the War Department and kept in storage after WW2 before being sold in the 1950s. Purchased in its present state around 15 years ago, the machine has not been used since. Presented in apparently good condition, it is offered with Swansea V5.

Lot Details
Auction Collectors' Motor Cars
Bonhams, Beaulieu Autojumble, National Motor Museum, Hampshire
TypeMotorcycle
Lot Number625
Estimate£2000-£2500
Outcome SOLD
Hammer Price£3300
Hammer Price (inc premium)£3795
Year
Condition rating
Registration numberLET 229
Mileage-
Chassis number
Engine numberW93922
Engine capacity (cc)
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors