Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 039: c.1928 LAGONDA 2-LITRE FOUR-SEATER TOURER

Van Dijk Collection, H&H Sales Limited (3 October 2005)

Some two years after its 1925 Motor Show launch, the Lagonda 14/60 morphed into the Two-Litre High Chassis model. Built around a sturdy ladder frame chassis equipped with semi-elliptic leaf-sprung suspension and four-wheel drum brakes, it was powered by the same 1954cc engine as its predecessor. Designed by Arthur Davidson, this imposing looking four-cylinder unit featured twin high-mounted camshafts and fully machined hemispherical combustion chambers. Developing some 60bhp @ 3,500rpm, it was mated to a four-speed manual gearbox and gave a top speed of between 70mph and 80mph (depending on the style of coachwork fitted). One of the longest standing members of the collection, this particular example is bodied as a three-door, four-seater fabric covered tourer. Finished in dark green with matching leather upholstery and brown carpets, its German silver radiator shell is flanked by nickel-plated Lucas headlamps. Boasting an engine-turned aluminium instrument binnacle to its wooden dashboard, other nice details include the four Lagonda branded step-plates, torpedo sidelights and Toby Mitchell diver's bell rear lights. Fitted with a single SU carburettor, Jones Autovac, magneto ignition, water pump and (later) electric fan, its powerplant is stamped with both 'S877' and 'OH1164'. Although, dated to 1934 on an accompanying copy Dutch logbook, we believe this Lagonda to have been manufactured in circa 1928. PLEASE NOTE: The hood frame and weather gear are now with this lot.

Lot Details
Auction Van Dijk Collection
H&H Sales Limited, Syon Park, Brentford
TypeCar
Lot Number039
Estimate£20000-£30000
Outcome SOLD
Hammer Price£18500
Hammer Price (inc premium)-
Year
Condition rating
Registration numberUN-REG
Mileage-
Chassis numberA37665M
Engine numberOH 1164
Engine capacity (cc)1954
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors