Lot 349: c.1922 Norton 490cc 16H
Having hitherto relied on proprietary engines, Norton introduced its own in 1907. The long-stroke sidevalve single displaced 633cc and the new model it powered became known as the ‘Big 4’. Smaller capacity versions followed and in 1911 the 500 adopted the classic 79x100mm bore and stroke dimensions which would characterise the half-litre (actually 490cc) Norton for the next 50 years. The 490cc engine was revised for 1914 and in 1921 the Model 16, as it had become known, received a new lower frame, becoming the 16H. Norton’s trusty sidevalve would be continuously up-dated for the next 30-plus years, many seeing service with Allied forces in WW2, before taking its final bow in 1954. This early vintage example is offered for restoration and comes with old-style Swansea V5.
Bonhams, Classic & Motorcycle Mechanics Show, Stafford
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£3450|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|