Lot 391: c.1953 James 197cc Commando Trials
James had begun concentrating on the manufacture of two-stroke lightweights in the 1930s and continued the policy after WWII. In 1951 the company became part of the Associated Motor Cycles group, joining Francis-Barnett. Jamesís models were powered by Villiers engines at first, though from 1957 many used AMCís own engine. Trials and scrambles machines were added to the range in 1949. These early types used Villiers 6E and 7E engines and had rigid frames, but by the end of the 1950s James competition models sported swinging-arm frames and the AMC engine. This Villiers-engined James Commando trials model has been updated with a Motoplat coil ignition conversion. The machine (believed originally registered ĎVVE 655í) comes with expired MoT (1995), new chromed silencer and a quantity of its original (removed) components.
Bonhams, Classic & Motorcycle Mechanics Show, Stafford
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£1035|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|