Lot 416: 1925 Rudge 350cc
Formed by the acquisition in 1894 of the Rudge Cycle Company Ltd by the Pugh family’s Whitworth Cycle Company, Rudge-Whitworth built its first motorcycle in 1910 and is best remembered for its pioneering use of four-valve cylinder heads. Rudge Whitworth’s first four-valve production motorcycle appeared in 1924, and the company persevered with the layout until manufacture ceased at the outbreak of WW2. The public response to Rudge’s new four-valve, four-speed model was enthusiastic, and by the end of 1924 twice as many machines had been produced as in 1923. A variety of valve arrangements was tried across a range of 250cc, 350cc and 500cc four-valve models. Sadly, the marque did not re-emerge after WW2. Dating from the second year of four-valve Rudge production, this vintage 350 was supplied new to its first owner in Crieff, Kinross. The present owner acquired it in 1972, via an intermediary, from the original owner’s estate. Restored in 1990, it has not been used for circa 12 years and will therefore require re-commissioning before returning to the road. The machine is offered with Swansea V5.
Bonhams, Classic & Motorcycle Mechanics Show, Stafford
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£3105|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|