Lot 460: 1955 Ariel 350cc Red Hunter
By 1930, Ariel’s Val Page-designed singles had gained a rear-mounted magneto and their distinctive timing cover, and the basic engine design, though frequently revised, would last well into the post-war era. The sports versions were christened ‘Red Hunter’ and under Page’s successor Edward Turner developed into fast and stylish machines. In 1946 the Hunters became the first models to feature Ariel’s new telescopic front fork, and the following year could be ordered with the optional Anstey Link plunger rear suspension. A new duplex loop frame with swinging-arm rear suspension was adopted for 1954 and the 500cc VH gained an alloy ’head at the same time (a feature the 350cc NH would not enjoy until the 1956 range was announced). In 1956 full-width alloy hubs were adopted across the range, and the Red Hunters continued in this form until production of Ariel four-strokes ceased in 1959. Presented in apparently good condition, this example is offered with MoT to January 2006 and Swansea V5 registration document.
Bonhams, Classic & Motorcycle Mechanics Show, Stafford
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£2990|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|