Lot 474: 1955 NSU 247cc Max
NSU built its first powered two-wheeler in 1900 and went on to produce some outstanding and influential designs in the 1950s, foremost of which was the 250cc Max. Announced in September 1952, the Max used a pressed-steel frame and leading-link front fork like its Fox and Lux predecessors, but its most unusual feature was the Albert Roder-designed ‘Ultramax’ connecting-link drive for the single overhead camshaft. This idea was not new, Bentley had used a similar arrangement in the 1920s/1930s, but Roder’s overcame the design’s previous shortcomings. Special Max, Max 300, Supermax and racing Sportmax versions followed. Quick for a 250 (its top speed was 75-80mph) and endowed with exceptional handling thanks to its superior cycle parts, the Max could show many a larger machine the way home over twisty terrain. NSU gradually wound down motorcycle production during the early 1960s, the final Max leaving the Neckarsulm factory in 1963. Reliable, well engineered and superbly finished, the Max was one of the finest European motorcycles of its time and today is worthy of inclusion in any serious collection. The vendor advises us that this superb example has been totally restored by recognised marque specialist Harold Nuttall, of Manchester, at a cost, it is believed, in excess of £10,000. First registered on 22nd September 1955, the machine remained in its original owner’s possession until 2001. It is offered with copy manual and spare parts list, MoT to 16th November 2005, previous MoT and Swansea V5C registration document. Truly a museum quality vehicle that is a credit to its restorer.
Bonhams, Classic & Motorcycle Mechanics Show, Stafford
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|