Lot 330: 1968 BMW 590cc R60/2
At the end of 1954, BMW dropped its existing trio of flat twins - the R51/3, R67/2 and R68 - replacing them with the R50 and R69. The engines were little altered, significant changes being concentrated on the frame and cycle parts, which now featured an Earles-type leading link front fork and swinging-arm rear suspension. The R67/2, a lower-compression model much favoured by sidecarists, was not replaced until the arrival for 1956 of the R60, which used a low-compression version of the R69 engine. The sidecar market remained an important one for BMW, and the new front fork’s bottom link incorporated alternative mounting points giving suitable trail should a ‘chair’ be attached. In 1960 the flat-twins range was revised as the ‘/2’, most of the changes being inside the engine which received a strengthened crankcase and crankshaft, hard-chromed piston rings, improved internal ventilation, new cam followers and a stronger clutch assembly. The R60/2’s compression ratio went up from 6.5:1 to 7.5:1, boosting peak power to 30PS (29.6hp SAE).
Sale of Collectors' Motorcycles|
Bonhams & Butterfields, Petersen Museum, Los Angeles, CA
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|