Lot 359: 1935 Norton 633cc Big Four
Having hitherto relied on proprietary engines, Norton introduced its own power unit in 1907. The long-stroke (82x120mm) sidevalve single displaced 633cc and the new model it powered became known as the ‘Big 4’. Smaller capacity versions followed and in 1911 the 500 adopted the classic 79x100mm bore/stroke dimensions which would characterise the half-liter (actually 490cc) Norton for the next 50 years. Norton’s sidevalve engines were revised for 1914 and in 1921 the Model 16, as it had become known, received a new lower frame, becoming the 16H. Considered by many to be an ideal sidecar ‘tug’, the Big Four (and 16H) would be continuously up-dated for the next 30-plus years, many seeing service with Allied forces in WW2. Post-war, the Big Four was revised with a shorter (113mm) stroke for a capacity of 597cc before taking its final bow, alongside the16H, in 1954.
The vendor advises us that this pre-war Big Four has benefitted from work done on the fenders.
Sale of Collectors' Motorcycles|
Bonhams & Butterfields, Petersen Museum, Los Angeles, CA
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||$575|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|