Lot 202: MG A fixedhead Coupe
For the debut of its new MGA in 1955, MG wisely chose that year's Le Mans 24 Hour race; after a succession of open-wheeled models there were fears of an adverse reaction to such a streamlined car, and it was felt that by showing the MGA in competition first the aerodynamic shape would be accepted as a performance essential. There had been some delays, however, in getting the go-ahead for production, MG owner BMC declining, having already agreed with Donald Healey to build the Austin Healey 100; it was the success of a highly streamlined MGA prototype, which took several records up to 153mph, which finally persuaded BMC to relent.
The competition successes of the ZA Magnette had already proven the potential of its new 1,498cc four cylinder engine and this was chosen for the new MGA. With 68bhp at 5,550rpm - soon raised to 72bhp - the MGA was capable of 0-60mph in 15 seconds and 97mph while the predictable handling, via independent coil spring front suspension and live leaf-sprung rear axle, was almost foolproof. The car was an instant success and in 1956 the roadster was joined by a fixed head coupe.
This MGA fixedhead coupe is a rare barn find with many spare parts that were stored separately. Clearly this is a complete restoration project as 299DLX has stood in an open fronted barn for 12 years. According to the V5 the chassis number is 105447, engine number 5228, and it was first registered on 25th June 1962 in the UK as an original right hand drive model.
Complete with many parts, such as: retrimmed seats, interior carpet (never fitted), Front bumper, dashboard with gauges, luggage rack, steering wheel, lights, fuel tank, panels, doors (including frames with glass) and much more. This MGA represents a very exciting opportunity for a winter project with a difference.
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£1407|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|