Lot 249: Bentley Mk VI
The launch of the Bentley Mk VI in 1946 marked a significant change in policy for Rolls-Royce by being the company's first wholly produced car; previously both Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars had been manufactured in chassis form only, before being bodied by independent bespoke coachbuilders.
This change came about as the result of a rationalisation programme instigated before World War Two. It was realised that if Rolls-Royce Motors was to survive in the post-war years a substantial increase in manufacturing output would be necessary.
Announced in May 1946, the Mk VI featured a strong channel section chassis with independent wishbone/coil spring front suspension allied to a live, leaf-sprung rear axle. Drum brakes were fitted all round, together with Rolls-Royce's mechanically-driven servo assistance, the front units for the first time on a Bentley being hydraulically operated.
Power was provided by the pre-war B60 4,257cc six cylinder engine, with overhead inlet and side exhaust valves, and belt rather than gear-driven dynamo and water pump. These were both major changes from previous Rolls-Royce practice and were sufficient to propel the Bentley via twin SU carburettors to 90mph. The prototype tests of the Mk VI were carried out during the 1939-45 hostilities, some conducted by cabinet ministers and military officers.
This car was first registered in 1950 with a two door coupe (Type 147) body by Park Ward. After residing for some time in the United States, it was re-imported into Europe in 2004. During the last 2 years has been restored by the current owner to near concours condition.
This very attractive Coupe is an ideal tourer with generous luggage space behind the seats. This is your chance to acquire a rare and desirable Park Ward coupe, one not to be missed.
Coys, Essen, Germany
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||€11840|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|