Lot 036: Armstrong Siddeley 17hp Sports Foursome
One of the great Coventry marques, Armstrong Siddeley Motors was formed in 1919 by a merger between Armstrong Whitworth and the Siddeley Deasey Motor Company. With a strong background in aircraft development which fed into the design of their cars, the company quickly gained a reputation for fine engineering, craftsmanship and meticulous attention to detail 'The Car of Aircraft Quality' as the advertising slogan had it.
The cars started with the 30hp of 1919, with a wide range of models in the 30s from the small 12hp to the fabulous Siddeley Special. During the Second World War the Parkside factory produced tank engines, torpedoes, airframes and engines for Lancaster bombers attracting considerable attention from the Luftwaffe! Quickly finding their feet once war was over, Armstrong Siddeley was among the first British manufacturers to produce a new range of cars, the 16hp, Lancaster, Whitley, Hurricane and Typhoon being wholly new and modern designs followed by the Sapphire and 'Star Sapphire' in 1958. Car production ceased in 1960 in favour of increased production of aircraft engines and these facilities are now part of the Rolls-Royce organisation.
The 17hp Sports Foursome was launched in 1934 and produced until 1938. It had a six-cylinder in-line monobloc engine displacing 2,396cc with a four bearing crankshaft, balanced alloy pistons, overhead valves and downdraught Claudel-Hobson carburettor. Transmission was via a four-speed preselector gearbox with a Salisbury rear axle and semi-elliptic springs all round, underslung at rear. Steering was by worm and nut, with Enot's 'one shot' central lubrication system and a permanently installed jacking system. The attractive bodywork was by Burlington of Coventry and featured a four seat, two door pillarless coupe with ingenious front side windows that both slid back and forth and wound up and down.
This particular example was supplied in May 1935 to agents Mack and Walpole of London for first owner Mr JT Yates, eventually finding its way to Belfast in 1984 where it became the subject of a full body off restoration at the hands of Michael Wylie, son of the last Belfast Armstrong Siddeley agent. Listed work comprised a complete engine rebuild, stripping and cleaning of gearbox and rear axle, front and rear springs, new king-pins and bushes, brake linings and wheel bearings.
Ash frame members were replaced where required and new aluminium wings fitted with fibreglass linings. The whole was rewired and retrimmed as necessary in original materials. The previous owner believed the recorded mileage to be 62,500 during his ownership and subsequent MOT documentation would verify that the current recorded total of 75,000 is genuine. Comprehensive documentation supporting the above details includes an old style logbook, letter from DVLA, V5, numerous old MOT certificates, invoices and photographic record.
The car has been used regularly during the 11 years of current ownership, covering some 12,000 miles throughout that time, and is currently fitted with an SU electric fuel pump and an electric water pump (the original water pump is available with the car and can be refitted if required). The original handbook and tools are with the car which has an MOT until March 2012. It will be driven to the auction from Scotland and may confidently be driven home by any new owner.
Classic & Vintage Cars & Motorcycles|
Brightwells Auctioneers and Valuers, Leominster, Herefordshire
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Registration number||BXV 214|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors||2|