Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 229: Aston Martin DB5 Sports Saloon

Aston Martin and Lagonda Motor Cars, Bonhams (19 May 2012)

Aston Martin's post-war evolution took a giant step forward with the launch of the DB4 in 1958. Classically proportioned, the Carrozzeria Touring-designed body established an instantly recognisable look that would stand the marque in good stead until 1970. The engine was still an all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft, six but the old W O Bentley supervised 3.0-litre unit had been superseded by a new design by Tadek Marek. The new 3,670cc engine featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92mm, and developed its maximum power of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit. Touring's Superleggera body construction, which employed a lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels, was deemed incompatible with the DB2/4-type multi-tubular spaceframe, so engineer Harold Beach drew up an immensely strong platform type chassis. The DB2/4's trailing-link independent front suspension gave way to unequal-length wishbones while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod. Five series were built as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5 of 1963. The latter's distinctive cowled headlamps had first appeared on the DB4GT and the newcomer was the same size as the lengthened Series V DB4. Its 3,995cc engine - first seen in the Lagonda Rapide - was mated to a four-speed overdrive-equipped gearbox; a proper ZF five-speed unit being an option at first and standardised later. Famously featured in the James Bond movie, 'Goldfinger', the DB5 was immensely popular, with demand swiftly outstripping the factory's ability to supply following the film's release in 1964. In total, 1,021 examples were built between 1963 and 1965. A later model fitted with desirable ZF five-speed manual gearbox, '1696/R' was acquired by the vendor in September 1996 from a Mr Hugh Mackinnon, who had owned it since January 1990. The Aston was in roadworthy condition when bought but the present owner wanted it restored and despatched the car to Classic Restorations (Scotland) Ltd of Alyth, Perthshire where a comprehensive rebuild was carried over a two-year period out at a cost in excess of 100,000. Fewer than 10,000 miles have been covered since the restoration's completion in December 1999 and the car has continued to be well maintained, the engine registers healthy oil pressure and water temperature. Naturally mellowed since restoration, it is no longer concours but remains in extremely good condition, a perfect driver's car. Finished in silver with black leather interior, this beautiful Aston Martin DB5 is offered with a large file containing restoration invoices, MoT to November 2012, Swansea V5 document for the cherished registration 'TWS 3' and eleven MoT certificates recording the mileage increasing from 28,523 in December 1999 to 36,334 in November 2011.

Lot Details
Auction Aston Martin and Lagonda Motor Cars
Bonhams, Newport Pagnell, Aston Martin Works Service
TypeCar
Lot Number229
Estimate£240000-£260000
Outcome SOLD
Hammer Price£240000
Hammer Price (inc premium)£270300
Year1964
Condition rating3
Registration numberTWS 3
Mileage-
Chassis numberDB5/1696/R
Engine number400/1682
Engine capacity (cc)
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors2