Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 236: Aston Martin DB2/4 Mk1 Saloon

Aston Martin and Lagonda Motor Cars, Bonhams (19 May 2012)

Manufactured at Feltham on 12th November 1953 and delivered finished in red, chassis number 'LML/538' was first acquired by J Broadhurst and Sons, the owners of Portland Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent before passing into the ownership of HWM Limited of Walton-on-Thames on 1st April 1957. For the next ten years, 'TEH 305' was registered in the name of the George Abecassis-owned historic Aston Martin garage, where a replacement 2,580cc engine (the one currently fitted) was a change recorded on 23rd January 1961. Abecassis, a former driver with the works team, had married Angela Brown, daughter of Aston Martin owner David Brown. Following long service at HWM, the car was sold in June 1967 to its third owner, Captain Davis RN of Warren Grange, Crowborough and by the late 1970s was owned by motor sporting engineer and race/rally competitor Ron Gammons. In 1986 the Gammons workshops were entrusted with rebuilding the engine during the ownership of John Clark of Offenham, the first of several Aston Martin Owners Club member keepers. Ownership then passed directly to Bonhams motoring team member, Richard Hudson-Evans, who drove the car in the AMOC Speed Championship and other events such as the MSA's Norwich Union Classic and the Agatha Christie Centenary Run in September 1990. During his tenure, the late Jack Moss of Four Ashes Garage maintained the car. The wire wheels were shod with Pirelli Cinturato tyres, all seats were treated to a professional re-trim in brown leather, the headlining was renewed and new Wilton carpets fitted. The next owner, motoring historian Nick Baldwin, displayed the car in the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu before it was acquired by the current vendors on 16th September 1991. A receipt dated August 1998 records the engine being set-up on the Sigma Engineering rolling road. When photographed for the catalogue, the engine started and showed healthy oil pressure when warm, while all gears engaged. Documents on file, which include both the original buff and green continuation logbooks, fully document the early ownership and indicate that the 59,979 miles displayed on the odometer may be the total mileage from new. Although the paint on the hinging bonnet and front wings panel is in reasonable order, the roof, side and rear paintwork has blistered during several years of storage. A start has been made to replace the dashboard wiring with an Aston Service Dorset supplied DB2/4 loom, which is included loose. The Aston was last MoT'd/taxed to 1999, since when it has not been on the road. It will, at the very least, require re-commissioning and would certainly benefit from 'improvement' rather than full restoration. Accompanying documentation consists of the aforementioned logbooks, ten expired MoT certificates and Swansea V5C document.

Lot Details
Auction Aston Martin and Lagonda Motor Cars
Bonhams, Newport Pagnell, Aston Martin Works Service
TypeCar
Lot Number236
Estimate£45000-£50000
Outcome SOLD
Hammer Price£75000
Hammer Price (inc premium)£85500
Year1953
Condition rating
Registration numberTEH 305
Mileage-
Chassis numberLML/538
Engine numberVB6E/50/1200
Engine capacity (cc)
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors2