Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 237: Aston Martin DB2 Saloon

Aston Martin and Lagonda Motor Cars, Bonhams (19 May 2012)

'The DB2 is a very fast sportscar of immense stamina, as a long list of racing successes has proved. (The) model is remarkable for its comfort and luxury, and is also just about the easiest thing there is to drive, outside of the "automatic transmission' carriages. Whether one would go shopping, to the theatre, on a long-distance tour, or even race at Le Mans, one cold have no more perfect companion than the Aston Martin.' – John Bolster, Autosport. Aston Martin owner David Brown's 1947 acquisition of Lagonda made the latter's W O Bentley-designed, twin-overhead-camshaft, 2.6-litre six available for a new sports car. Introduced in May 1950, the DB2 owed much to the Claude Hill-designed DB1, using a shortened and modified version of the latter's chassis and identical suspension. Italian-inspired, the timelessly elegant GT bodywork was the creation of Frank Feeley, and with more power (105bhp at 5,000rpm) and less weight, the sleek DB2 comfortably out-performed its predecessor. When production ceased in May 1953, a total of 411 DB2s had been made, around 100-or-so of which were drophead coupés. This DB2, chassis number 'LML/50/110', was one of Aston Martin's show cars at the 1952 Earls Court Motor Show, the other being 'LML/50/109'. Its original guarantee form records that the car was delivered to Liverpool dealer Blakes after the show and that the engine, 'VB6B/50/555', underwent conversion to Vantage specification in April 1952. The original registration was 'JTP 496'. Four owners are recorded in the original logbook, the last named - M J D Pearce, of National Provincial Bank - owning the car at several addresses between 1966 and the early 1980s, when it passed into the ownership of Aston Martin specialists Ecurie Bertelli of Olney, Buckinghamshire. The car was subsequently totally restored and the engine rebuilt - to Vantage specification - by Jack Moss at Four Ashes Garage using a replacement cylinder block and 'head, the originals having cracked. The car's first outing after completion was the AMOC's Sir John Horsfall meeting in 1990. Acquired by a previous owner in 1997, 'JTP 496' was purchased by the immediately preceding owner at Bonhams & Brooks' sale at Aston Martin Works Service in 2001 (Lot 165). Following acquisition, the brakes and other mechanical items received attention, and the car was driven on tours and rallies. The current owner bought the DB2 at Bonhams' sale at AMWS in May 2002 (Lot 209) since when it has covered very few miles, being used mainly for visits to local classic car shows in the Republic of Ireland where it is currently registered. 'LML/50/110' is presented in its original livery of Carnation Red with black leather interior, the latter re-trimmed in 2006, and is described by the vendor as in generally good condition. The car is offered with an extensive history file containing Four Ashes' invoices totalling circa £36,500, numerous expired MoTs, its original logbook, copy guarantee form and Irish registration papers.

Lot Details
Auction Aston Martin and Lagonda Motor Cars
Bonhams, Newport Pagnell, Aston Martin Works Service
TypeCar
Lot Number237
Estimate£80000-£100000
Outcome SOLD
Hammer Price-
Hammer Price (inc premium)-
Year1952
Condition rating
Registration numberZV 6697
Mileage-
Chassis numberLML/50/110
Engine numberVB6B/50/555
Engine capacity (cc)
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors2