Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 245: Aston Martin DB2/4 MkII Drophead Coupé

Aston Martin and Lagonda Motor Cars, Bonhams (19 May 2012)

The Aston Martin DB2/4 is an expensive car designed to cater for the connoisseur of sports cars who is not limited by financial considerations.' - Autocar, 2nd October 1953. David Brown's acquisition of Tickford Ltd in 1953 led to bodywork for the revised DB2/4 MkII being manufactured by the Newport Pagnell coachbuilder. Mechanically the same as the 'MkI', the MkII was identifiable by its subtly altered lines, the most significant change being a ¾" increase in roof height that afforded greater headroom. In MkII form the DB2/4 continued to be available as a close-coupled sports saloon or drophead coupé, while for the first time an alternative fixed-head coupé was made available, of which 34 were made. Chassis number 'AM300/1220' was originally manufactured as a fixed-head coupé but when its restoration commenced in 1986 a decision was taken not to re-fit the hardtop; instead the normal Tickford folding hood was fitted in its place while carefully retaining all the other Tickford features. The 'last nut and bolt' restoration by hand picked professionals embraced a full chassis and suspension rebuild, and stripping and rebuilding the 2.9-litre engine with all parts restored or replaced as necessary while the gearbox, brakes and rear axle were overhauled also. New parts fitted included the wiring loom, a sports exhaust system and a Marles steering box to original specification. Cosmetically the car was prepared to the highest standards with the body stripped, bead blasted and repainted in Beech Green metallic while the interior was re-upholstered in beige Connolly Autolux hide with barley beige Wilton carpets and beige Everflex hood. At the same time all new rubber trim, mouldings and badges were fitted. All brightwork was polished and re-plated as necessary and the wheels rebuilt by Motorwheel Services. In short, no stone was left unturned in bringing the car to the highest possible show standards while ensuring that it was equally capable of giving perfect service on long Continental trips. These have been accomplished with aplomb, the first outing after restoration in 1989 being the Great British Film Rally to Cannes, a distance of some 1,700 miles. Subsequently the car was rallied and toured extensively on the Continent, cruising comfortably at 65mph but with plenty in hand, averaging 22-25mpg with negligible oil consumption. This magnificent car had been in the immediately preceding ownership since 1978 when it was purchased by the current vendor at our inaugural sale at Aston Martin Works Service in May 2000 (Lot 145) at which time it was registered 'WXO 382'. Currently registered in the Republic of Ireland, the Aston has been driven only occasionally since acquisition. Most of the work that has been carried out consisted of general maintenance and servicing prior to 2011 when 'AM300/1220' was repainted, the cylinder head overhauled and the engine rebuilt with new bearings, piston rings, etc (bills on file). Described by the vendor as in generally good/very good condition, the car is offered with old-style logbook, current road fund licence, Irish registration papers and a quantity of restoration bills and photographs contained in an impressive file.

Lot Details
Auction Aston Martin and Lagonda Motor Cars
Bonhams, Newport Pagnell, Aston Martin Works Service
TypeCar
Lot Number245
Estimate£110000-£130000
Outcome SOLD
Hammer Price£85000
Hammer Price (inc premium)£96700
Year1956
Condition rating2
Registration numberZV 6696
Mileage-
Chassis numberAM300/1220
Engine numberVB6J/826
Engine capacity (cc)
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors2