Lot 202: Matchless 250cc
The first Matchless motorcycle was manufactured in 1899, and production began in 1901. Matchless was the trading name of Collier & Sons, the father Henry Herbert Collier and his sons Charlie and Harry. The Matchless tank badge was a winged 'M'. Like many motorcycle manufacturers of the time, they had started as bicycle manufacturers. They produced a JAP V-twin powered bike in 1905, with one of the earliest swing-arm rear suspensions, coupled with leading-link front forks. This Matchless 250cc was first registered overseas in 1959 although returned to the UK some years later. A splendid looking bike, this single cylinder Matchless appears to be complete but will require some work prior to re-commissioning. Having been dry stored for a number of years, the vendor has decided it is time for a new custodian to invest a little time and effort and have the joy of owning this handsome model.
Cars & Motorcycles|
Historics at Brooklands, Brooklands
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|