Lot 31: Bristol 411
Having made a major contribution to both world wars, the Bristol Aeroplane Company found itself with large premises and a sizeable skilled workforce but too few orders. In order to redeploy this invaluable resource it opted to create a luxury car division and, under the war reparation scheme, acquired rights over pre-war BMW models and their powerplants. The company was therefore able to produce its first vehicle - the 400 Saloon - as early as the autumn of 1946. By 1969 it had progressed to the 411. This was powered by the 6286cc version of Chrysler's OHV B-Series V8, which endowed the newcomer with a 30 percent hike in power over the 5211cc-engined 410 - sufficient for a top speed of 145mph. The Series 2 411s of 1971 featured self-levelling suspension, while a restyled body that included a four-headlamp nose characterised the Series 3 models debuted in 1972. A total of 287 411s had been produced by the time the 411 gave way to the 412 in 1976. This right-hand drive 411 departed the company's Filton factory in 1972. It sports Blue coachwork and a Blue leather interior. The vendor informs us that 'NYT 55L' has been the subject of extensive restoration and refurbishment that included a bare metal respray, the overhaul of the engine, transmission, steering and brakes and the fitting of a stainless steel exhaust system. In recent times it has apparently been serviced and maintained by Bristol Cars of Chiswick (now Brentford) and is currently considered to have "good" bodywork, paintwork, interior trim and engine, "good/excellent" transmission, and to "perform effortlessly and handle extremely well". It will be driven to the sale from Lincolnshire and is offered complete with evidence of the restoration work, MOTs dating back to the early 1980s, past ownership details and an MOT until April 2013.
H&H Sales Limited, Rockingham Castle
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Registration number||NYT 55L|
|Engine capacity (cc)||6277|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|