Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 069: Lagonda 16/80 T2 Tourer

Classic & Vintage Cars & Motorcycles, Brightwells Auctioneers and Valuers (18 July 2012)

One of the most revered names in automotive history, Lagonda was founded by the American Wilbur Gunn in Staines in 1906. To begin with production was focused on the manufacture of light cars, but by 1925 Lagonda had launched the first of an outstanding range of sports models, the 14/60. The car was designed by Arthur Davidson who had come from Lea-Francis and featured a 60hp twin-cam 1954cc 4-cylinder engine with hemispherical combustion chambers that gave it a top speed of 60mph. Built around a sturdy ladder frame chassis with semi-elliptic leaf-sprung suspension, it also had a Rubury four-wheel braking system of prodigious efficiency and was superbly finished throughout. In 1927 the 14/60 was considerably improved and relaunched as the 2-Litre Speed Model. Lighter all round, it also featured a tuned engine with revised valve timing and higher compression which endowed the car with a top speed of 70mph. In 1933 this was in turn replaced by the 16/80 Special Six, based on the same chassis but now with a six-cylinder engine made by Crossley. Although the Crossley engines were supplied as complete units, to meet Lagonda's high standards they were stripped, examined and weighed before being re-assembled and bench run prior to fitment to the chassis. The Lagonda engineers extracted more power from these engines as well as improving the cooling and breathing qualities and issued each unit with a nine year guarantee. Available with saloon or touring bodies, the 16/80 could be ordered with conventional four-speed manual or ENV pre-selector gearbox enabling swift and easy changes. Autocar loved Lagonda's new medium-size model (which took its name from its 16hp RAC rating and 80mph top speed), remarking on its silence, smoothness, brisk acceleration and effortless high-speed cruising. Approximately 260 were made, around half of which are believed to survive. This fine example was first registered in March 1933 carrying a saloon body. The original buff log book shows that it was located in the Surrey area in 1959, before moving to Bromley. The comprehensive history file also shows that it was administered to by Capt. Ivan Forshaw in the 1960s, with two test certificates dating from 1962 and '63, plus a further 12 certificates from more recent times. A series of interesting letters and invoices from this period are also on file, including an engine rebuild by Baldyne in 1966. By 1970 the car was a rolling chassis. The coachwork was then replaced with a replica T2 fabric covered body, built by Tony Robinson, retaining the original green leather seats which are in lovely patinated condition. More recently the car has been prepared for International rallies. Invoices show preparation to the magneto and starter motor, a new fuel tank and in 2007 it had a re-cored radiator, new water pump and an electric fan added. It also had a re-built ENV pre-selector gearbox fitted, which worked beautifully during a short test drive and certainly adds to the driving experience. A VSCC buff form confirms that the car is to Standard specification, and details of adventures overseas include trips to Ulster, Norway and regular trips to the excellent Fougeres Rally in France. The vendor intends to drive it to the sale, a distance of over 100 miles and reports that it has always proved reliable and great fun to drive. Complete with hood and tonneau cover, this highly useable example is featured on page 71 of the Osprey Classic Marques Lagonda Heritage Book. Here is an excellent opportunity to acquire a well known, well proven example of one of Britains most famous marques.

Lot Details
Auction Classic & Vintage Cars & Motorcycles
Brightwells Auctioneers and Valuers, Easters Court, Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 0DE
TypeCar
Lot Number069
Outcome NOT SOLD
Hammer Price-
Hammer Price (inc premium)-
Year1933
Condition rating
Registration numberAGC 254
Mileage-
Chassis numberS10325
Engine number2074
Engine capacity (cc)1991
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors