Lot 351: Nimbus Four
Unusual in producing four-cylinder machines only, the Danish firm of Fisker & Nielsen introduced the Nimbus motorcycle in 1919. Their products were of advanced design, using shaft final drive and pressed steel frames from the start of production and pioneering the telescopic front fork in the 1930s. Motorcycle production was suspended in 1928, and when the Nimbus reappeared in 1934 it was with a power unit that showed strong motor industry influence, with integral crankcase/cylinder block in cast iron and a detachable alloy sump. The cast-iron cylinder head was topped by an alloy housing for the single overhead camshaft, the latter being driven by shaft-and-bevel gears. A single-plate clutch transmitted power to the three-speed gearbox. Foot change for the gearbox, a beefier front fork and larger brakes had been added by the end of the 1930s but from then on the Nimbus changed little until series production ended in 1954. Production was always on a limited scale but such is the quality of the Nimbus that many remain in service today. Most surviving Nimbus motorcycles are geared for sidecar use and have only foot operated gear shifting whereas this particular example has both hand and foot clutch operation and the original hand operated tank gearshift. Said to run very well, the machine was restored 15 years ago by the vendor, who sourced a set of 'new-old-stock' solo-ratio gears from a collector in Denmark.
Quail Lodge Sale|
Bonhams, Carmel, California, USA
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||$14375|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|