Lot 435: Aston Martin 15/98 Sports Tourer
* 1,949cc OHC four-cylinder * 4-speed manual transmission * Factory build sheets available * Unbroken chain of ownership * Highly original example retaining original engine * One of 24 long chassis examples produced By the late 1930s Aston Martin had firmly established the qualities that the company would be known to this day. That of providing hand-built, highly competitive and individual sports cars for those that wished to campaign them at the multitude of pre-war events such as hill climbs and circuit races of a handful of laps or endurance over 24 hours, or for the many privateers who emulated them simply to have a lively automobile for the road, with a great British pedigree. The company would always dance either side of the line of profitability, including ownership changes but by this stage the essence of the brand was set and without the aura surrounding it, David Brown's post-war success would arguably not have been possible. 2 Liter Astons debuted in August 1936, the model was a substantial revision over its 1 ½ liter predecessor. The four cylinder overhead cam engine became 1,949cc and the porting was upgraded to bring the spark plugs over to the exhaust side. With a whisker under 100bhp on tap, there was the sensible addition of Girling 14 inch hydraulic brakes as standard. The 15/98 provided the company with a solid commercial success, but in those days this did not result in high production. The combined production run was approximately 150 units, this being one of only 24 of the longer chassis built, still relatively short in vintage terms at 9 ft 8 inches. This immaculate Aston Martin's history can be traced back to day one. Its early days are detailed on copies of the original factory build sheets as provided by the Aston Martin Heritage Trust in the UK. From the late 1920s, the chassis prefix would denote when the car was built, 'E' corresponding to the fifth letter of the alphabet and therefore fifth month, and the '8' corresponding to second number of the year, making this a May 1938 delivery. It was originally delivered in black livery with a green leather interior. The car's first owners were G.E. Layte & Co. Ltd followed by Masons Garage of Maddox St. London W1. By the Spring of 1939, the car was the property of Mrs. McDougall of Ashford in Kent, UK and it appears to have remained with her through the mid-1950s, all the while being maintained by the factory. By the late 1950s the car changed hands and was re-registered from its original license plates of 'EYL 286', to the London number 'UGK 28'. It next moved to northern England and for a time was registered with the distinctive Sheffield number 'W 28'. In the early 1970s the registration changed to a Yorkshire number 'HWR' suffix number. It is thought that the Aston Martin first arrived in the U.S. in the early 1980s and it would reside in a long term ownership for more than two decades, before coming into the present owner's care in the early 2000s. This highly original Aston with its original engine has recently completed a comprehensive body-off, bare frame, concours restoration. Aiming to return this unique Aston to its former glory, no detail was overlooked including its original, chrome radiator shell and grille. The car was exquisitely repainted in two tone, British Racing Green with black fenders, and the interior completely redone in matching green leather. With its windshield down and a swept back tail, the Aston is ready for competition on the show circuit as well as classic tours. This extremely rare and magnificently presented Aston, produced by one of England's greatest marques, would be the crowning addition to the finest of collections.
Quail Lodge Sale|
Bonhams, Carmel, California, USA
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||$214000|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors||2|