The Swiss M. Thury and M.R. Nussberger built their first three-wheeler in 1878. At that point in time, both of them were still studying at the Societe Genevoise d'Instruments de Physique in Geneva. The three-wheeler was powered by a steam engine and seated four, who sat two-by-two back-to back. The two-cylinder ran on coal.
At full throttle, the engine delivered 12 bhp at 350 rpm. The three-wheeler did not have a gearbox and the rear wheels were driven by chains. With a full 80 litre water tank the vehicle had a top speed of 31 mph (50 kph).
The complete encyclopedia of Vintage Cars - Rob de la Rive Box