Following on from the successful Austin Healey 100, the second landmark model from this relatively new marque arrived in 1956, the 100-6. The 100-6 used a tuned version of the new BMC "C-series" six cylinder engine in 2639cc form. The new car had a longer wheelbase and featured a 2+2 interior, this model became known internally at BMC as the BN4.
In 1958 a traditional 2 seater version (the BN6) arrived and used the six-port head that had been introduced in 1957. 100-6 cars can be distinguished from the early four cylinder cars by their chrome finished bonnet air intake and smaller grille. Although wire wheels were fitted to cars, the standard equipment for the 100-6 comprised of steel wheels and hubcaps. In 1959 the improved 3000 model arrived and production of the 100-6 in all variants ceased.